Big Mountain Camp – Sessions 3 & 5
We are again offering two Big Mountain camp options during Sessions 3 & 5. The Big Mountain groups will focus on learning new tricks to take to freeride and back-country terrain. Less focus on rails, more focus on airs and skills you’ll need for freeriding. Campers will learn back-country safety (avalanche awareness and rescue), how to read terrain and how to build jumps! This is a first for summer ski camps in North America!
The Big Mountain Program
- Learn new tricks safely on trampolines, water-ramps and airbags before taking them to forgiving soft, summer snow.
- Concentrate on jumps, rather than rails, practicing new tricks on features that simulate cliff drops and natural take-offs.
- Learn to read big mountain terrain.
- Backcountry and avalanche awareness education. This component will be hosted by Ross Berg: IFMGA / ACMG Mountain Guide and owner of Squamish based Altus Mountain Guides. Ross will take the group through a full day course on hill, covering back-country travel, snow safety and avalanche awareness. This will be followed by 2 x 1.5 hr sessions of interactive classroom learning in the evenings.
- terrain identification
- local effects of weather
- common start zone/trigger points
- companion rescue
- group rescue
- Understanding avalanche formations
- Types of avalanches
- Weather, safe travel practice
Our Big Mountain coaches have both expert park skills and years of big mountain skiing, back-country travel and back-country safety experience under their belts. Coaching for the session includes:
- one-on-one attention and in-depth video review every day
- customized to your level in small groups, to teach you exactly the skills you want to learn
- video footage from the week available for download after the camp
Who is it For?
Any skier who wants to take their freeride skiing and big mountain skills to the next level by improving their air awareness, agility and back-country knowledge. Whether you’re planning on competing in next winter’s freeride comps or just want to learn new tricks to throw into pow, these sessions will be the perfect place to step it up. Mogul or Park skiers can also just take the Avalanche Awareness Course if wanted.
The Big Mountain option is a $150 add on cost to your program.
Full Package– includes everything: terrain access, coaching, lift tickets, hotels, meals, airport transfers, all activities, video review.
Ski-Only Package – includes terrain access, coaching, lift tickets, video review. (Activities + Meals can be added)