We are offering two Big Mountain Ski Camp options during Sessions 3 & 4. The Big Mountain groups will focus on learning new tricks to take to freeride and back-country terrain. Less focus on rails, more focus on airs and skills you’ll need for freeriding. Campers will learn back-country safety (avalanche awareness and rescue), how to read terrain and how to build jumps! Geared for Ages 12+.
The Big Mountain Program
- Learn new tricks safely on trampolines, water-ramps and airbags before taking them to forgiving soft, summer snow.
- Concentrate on jumps, rather than rails, practicing new tricks on features that simulate cliff drops and natural take-offs.
- Learn to read big mountain terrain.
- Backcountry and avalanche awareness education. This component will be hosted by Ross Berg: IFMGA / ACMG Mountain Guide and owner of Squamish based Altus Mountain Guides. Ross will take the group through a full day course on hill, covering back-country travel, snow safety and avalanche awareness, as well as 2 x 1.5 hr afternoon sessions of interactive classroom learning.
- terrain identification
- local effects of weather
- common start zone/trigger points
- companion rescue
- group rescue
- Understanding avalanche formations
- Types of avalanches
- Weather, safe travel practice
Our Big Mountain coaches have both expert park skills and years of big mountain skiing, back-country travel and back-country safety experience under their belts. Coaching for the session includes:
- one-on-one attention and in-depth video review every day
- customized to your level in small groups, to teach you exactly the skills you want to learn
- video footage from the week available for download after the camp
Who is it For?
Advanced to expert skiers who want to take their freeride skiing and big mountain skills to the next level by improving their air awareness, agility and back-country knowledge. Whether you’re planning on competing in next winter’s freeride comps or just want to learn new tricks to throw into pow, these sessions will be the perfect place to step it up and learn safely. Campers must be able to ski a double black diamond comfortably. Mogul or Park skiers can also take the Avalanche Awareness Course if wanted as an added extra.
Note that while we do have a couple of short, steep faces to ski we do not have access to extensive Big Mountain terrain in the summer time, so this programme will primarily focus on your trick and aerial skills, as well as avalanche awareness sessions.
Dates & Rates (2021 Dates + Rates still TBC)
|$CDN Dollars||$USD Dollars|
|SESSIONS||Full Package||Coaching Only||Full Package||Coaching Only|
|Session 3: (June 26 – July 4)||$3095||$2095||$||$|
|Session 4: (July 4 – July 11)||$2925||$2095||$||$|
- includes everything
- terrain access, coaching, lift tickets, hotels, meals, airport transfers, all activities, video review
Coaching Only Package:
- includes everything except hotel, meals, some activities and transport
- activities, transport and meals can be added as extras