June 24 – July 2, 2017
• What better location to hone your shooting and editing skills than in beautiful Whistler, using some of the world’s best skiers, riders, skaters, kayakers and bikers as your subject matter.
• We will bring together some of the top filmmakers and photographers in the action sports industry to act as your mentors and instructors.
• Whistler offers a wealth of action sports subject matter from skiing and snowboarding on the glacier, to mountain biking, skateboarding, bungee jumping, watersports, etc all set against a breathtaking scenic backdrop.
With a combined Film + Photo Camp you can specialize in either or practice a mix of both – the choice is yours!
• Reuben Krabbe – Well known for his iconic ‘Eclipse’ photo amongst others, Reuben joined the Exposure team in 2016 and proved to be an excellent coach and mentor. An experienced professional in both the world of biking and skiing/snowboarding, his work has been published in multiple magazines.
• Jeff Schmuck – Former Editor of SBC Skier Magazine and now Forecast Magazine, Jeff has been part of every Exposure camp and brings a wealth of industry knowledge to the table, to help give you a step up into a career as a pro.
• Zach Moxley– One of the rising stars in action sport filmmaking, this young, Whistler cinematographer was a previous Momentum camp filmer. Zach has now gone on to work with high profile clients such as Destination BC, Red Bull, Whistler Blackcomb and Switchback Entertainment. This year he’ll be coming back to Momentum to share his knowledge with the next generation of film makers at Exposure.
• Mike Douglas of Switchback Entertainment is known for his creative work filming and editing Salomon Freeski TV. Mikenhas racked up a slew of awards including 2013 Powder Magazine “Best Web Series” and IF3’s 2012: “Best Visual Effects”. Mike’s first full length film “Freedom Chair” won the 2012 Powder award for “Best Documentary”, as well as the 2011 Banff Film Festival – “Best Film – Mountain Sports”.
Past Exposure Coaches have included:
• Blake Jorgenson from Whistler Outdoor Photography has been part of the Exposure crew since we started. Blake is a much sort after professional whose photos have graced the covers of magazines for over many years and been used in hugely successful ad campaigns. He knows how to capture light and action in the mountains in a uniquely artistic fashion and his work is also highly prized art, exhibited in Whistler’s Adele Campbell Gallery. He adapted his already established workshops in Whistler to focus on the skiing action sports side of Momentum, plus brings his wealth of experience in shooting the many other action sports around Whistler.
• Nick Martini, award-winning director from Stept Productions, joined the team in 2016, bringing a wealth of experience, producing both feature length and short form branded content. Stept specializes in producing commericals, TV programming and documentaries. With a background as a pro skier and a former Momentum camper, Nick knows how much this great summer camp experience can help shape your future!
• Tyler Hamlett has been part of the crew for the past 2 summers and has been an award-winning filmer on the Poor Boyz Team for many years.
• Darren Rayner, as part or the Voleurz team for many years, has won multiple awards for their highly creative and entertaining approach to film-making and has been an integral part of the Exposure crew since it’s inception. Now part of Magnafire, Darren’s team is dedicated to telling compelling stories in adventure and action sports.
• Josh Berman, founding father of Level 1 in 1999, filmer, director and all around great guy has a wealth of experience in the ski movie business.
• Johnny Decesare and Poor Boyz helped lead the skiing revolution when it began in the late 90’s with the Movie 13 and since then has continued to produce some of the best action sports films in the industry. Johnny was an inaugural coach in Exposure’s first year.
What you will Learn and Create:
Exposure offers training and workshops in both technical and creative aspects of action sports film and photography, plus creative and professional editing techniques. You will learn about the latest digital equipment, editing and postproduction software, uploading to web platforms, etc.
The aim is to create a finished edit/slideshow by the end of the session, which will be showcased to an audience of Momentum Campers, coaches and staff on the final night. Your shows will be profiled through Momentum channels, to our wide online audience and to camp sponsors, giving your work great exposure
• Geared for teens and young adults, the program will consist of practical shooting sessions on the glacier, in mountain bike terrain, or at other select locations.
• Editing sessions at our private Exposure edit suite.
• Seminars & workshops by your coaches along with a spectacular night shoot up on the glacier.
As with our ski camps, you can opt for a Full Package all-inclusive camp which covers transfers, food and accommodation or choose the Instruction-Only Package if you want to make your own arrangements.
Camera: You must have your own SLR camera and/or video camera. Most DSLRs are great for their price: Canon 5D, Canon 60D, Lumix GH4 or GH3. You will want a few lenses as well, ideally in the focal range of approximately 18 – 200mm.
Ski equiment: Be prepared to ski/ride into the glacier for on-snow action shoots (intermediate ski terrain). Rental gear can be arranged.
With a combined Photo & Film Camp your options are to specialize in either camp or do a mix of both, the choice is yours.
The incredibly talented Whistler duo of Sam Rainer and Oskar Steiner demonstrate what it’s like to be an Exposure camper through this handy how-to guide to our Exposure Film and Photo Camp!
Archive: See past campers/coaches in action:
EXAMPLES OF PREVIOUS EDITS AND SLIDE SHOWS
All campers put together film edits and slideshows which were showcased to a big crowd of Momentum Campers, Coaches and Staff on the Final night.
• For the photo showcase click HERE
2013 Exposure edit”